Research Associate, M.D., D.Sc.,
Macedonian Academy of Sciences and Arts
Medical Faculty, (GPA 9.00 of 10.00)
Faculty of Medicine and Psychology, Sapienza Univesity of Rome, IT
Doctor of Psychology ans Social Neuroscience
1. Social and Cognitive Neuroscience
2. Social Psychology
1. Neuropolitics (with emphasis on Game Theory) and Neuroethics (with emphasis on Theory of Mind)
2. Neuroinformatics (with emphasis on Quantitative Electroencephalography)
1. Neurophysiological and behavioral correlates of group-motivated decision and inter-group distinction
2. Brain electric oscillations and cognition
Booklets and Book Chapters
1. Gjoneska B, Camacho Toro R, Simic N, Solymosi K, AbuDouleh A, Chies Santos A, Chaouch M, Elbaz H, Enany S, Giannarou S, Gono-Bwalya A, Haidu D, Manzanares Chacón MA, Režek Jambrak A. (2020). S.O.S. Booklet for Global Young Scholars: Facing the Scientific and Ethical Challenges of the Modern Age. Budapest: GYA/IAP Young Researchers Leadership Workshop in the Framework of the World Science Forum 2019.
2. Lantian A, Wood M, & Gjoneska B. (2020). Personality traits, cognitive styles, and worldviews associated with beliefs in conspiracy theories. In: M. Butter and P. Knight (eds). Routledge Handbook of Conspiracy Theories. 155-167. Abingdon: Routledge (26 Feb 2020). doi: 10.4324/9780429452734-2_1
3. Gjoneska B, Fidanovski K, & Krouwel A. (2020). North Macedonia goes global: Pro-EU aspirations and anti-EU sentiments as basis for EU-related conspiracy theories. In: A. Astapova, O. Colăcel, C. Pintilescu, T. Scheibner (eds). Conspiracy Theories in Eastern Europe: Tropes and Trends. 250-267. Abingdon: Routledge (29 Oct 2020). doi: 10.4324/9780429326073-17
4. Blanuša N, Denkovski O, Fidanovski K & Gjoneska B. (2021) EU-related conspiracy theories in the Western Balkans: Gravitating between rejecting and embracing Europe through eurovilification and eurofundamentalism. In: A. Önnerfors, A. Krouwel (eds). Europe: Continent of Conspiracies: Conspiracy Theories in and about Europe. Abingdon: Routledge (31 Mar 2021). doi: 10.4324/9780367500689
5. Milošević-Đorđević J, Žeželj I, Turjačanin V, Lukić P, Gjoneska B, & Krouwel, A. Conspiracy theories about the conflict: Blaming the enemy or finding a joint culprit. In: N. Blanuša (ed). Conspiracy theories in/about Balkans. Abingdon: Routledge. (forthcoming)
Papers and Conference Presentations (selection)
1. Adam-Troian J, Wagner-Egger P, Motyl M, Arciszewski T, Imhoff R, Zimmer F, Klein O, Babinska M, Bangerter A, Bilewicz M, Blanuša N, Bovan K, Bužarovska R, Cichocka A, Çelebi E, Delouvée S, Douglas K, Dyrendal A, Gjoneska B, … van Prooijen, J. (2021). Investigating the links between cultural values and belief in conspiracy theories: The key roles of collectivism and masculinity. Political Psychology. (accepted)
2. Van Bavel JJ, Cichocka A, Capraro V, Sjåstad H, Nezlek JB, Alfano M, Azevedo F, Cislak A,...Gjoneska B,...Boggio P. (2020). National identity predicts public health support during a global pandemic. (in preparation)
3. Király O, Potenza MN, Stein DJ, King DL, Hodgins DC, Saunders JB, Griffiths MD, Gjoneska B, Billieux J, Brand M, Abbott MW, Chamberlain SR, Corazza O, Burkauskas J, Sales CMD, Montag C, Lochner C, Grünblatt E, Wegmann E, Martinotti G, Lee HK, Rumpf HJ, Castro-Calvo J, Rahimi-Movaghar A, Higuchi S, Menchon JM, Zohar J, Pellegrini L, Walitza S, Fineberg NA, Demetrovics Z. (2020). Preventing problematic internet use during the COVID-19 pandemic: Consensus guidance. Comprehensive Psychiatry. 100: 152180 doi: 10.1016/j.comppsych.2020.152180
4. Bago B, Aczel B, Kekecs Z, Protzko J, Kovacs M, Nagy T, ...Gjoneska B, ...Chartier CR. (2020). Moral thinking across the world: Exploring the influence of personal force and intention in moral dilemma judgments. Nature Human Behavior. (in principle acceptance)
REGISTERED REPORT: [URL]
5. Marczak M, Gjoneska B, Burkauskas J, Daskalou V, Flora K, Gao S, Liaugaudaitė V, Markovikj M, Roelands M, Smrz P, Vaz-Rebelz P. (2020). Problematic internet use: Media portrayal across eight countries. Psihologija. 53(4): 411-430 doi: 10.2298/psi190801011m
6. Gjoneska B, Liuzza MT, Porciello G, Caprara GV, Aglioti SM. (2019). Bound to the group and blinded by the leader: Ideological leader–follower dynamics in a trust economic game. Royal Society Open Science. 6: 182023. doi: 10.1098/rsos.182023
7. Gjoneska B, Porciello G, Liuzza MT, Caprara GV. (2018). Two shades of leader’s trustworthiness: Electors from opposite sides of the political spectrum differ in the dispositional and situational trust toward a political leader. Fourth International Conference of the European Society for Cognitive and Affective Neuroscience (ESCAN 2018). Leiden, Netherlands.
8. Gjoneska B, Kiteva-Trencevska G, Pop-Jordanova N. (2018). Multimodal analysis of cognitive functions in patients with epilepsy. Epilepsia. 59(S3): S334. doi: 10.1111/epi.14612
9. Gjoneska B, Porciello G, Liuzza MT, Caprara GV, Aglioti SM. (2017). Through the looking glass of political bias: Political affiliation predicts leader’s trustworthiness via implicit attitudes. 40th Annual Meeting of the International Society of Political Psychology. Edinburgh, UK
10. Gjoneska B, Markovska-Simoska S, Hinrikus H, Pop-Jordanova N, Pop-Jordanov J. (2015). Brain topography of EMF-induced EEG-changes in restful wakefulness: Tracing current effects, targeting future prospects. Prilozi. 36(3): 103-112. doi: 10.1515/prilozi-2015-0085
11. Gee RE, Jarvinen T, Sultana TA, Destura R, Gjoneska B. (2012). IAMP tackles a void in medical education: Leadership. Lancet. 379(9813):e25. doi:10.1016/S0140-6736(12)60148-2
12. Gjoneska B. (2012). Neuroimaging and neuroethics: Imaging the ethics in neuroscience. Prilozi. 33(1):419-424. PMID: 23037187
13. Gjoneska B, Kandikjan A. (2010). Quantitative analysis of background EEG activity in three protocol-dependent groups of patients with epilepsy. Epilepsy Behav. 17(4):608-609. doi:10.1016/j.yebeh.2010.01.127
14. Gjoneska B, Markovska-Simoska S, Kandikjan A. (2010). Assessment of the brain rate parameter in three protocol-dependant groups of epileptic patients. Front Neurosci. Conference Abstract: NeuroMath COST Action BM0601: Neurodynamic Insight into Functional Connectivity, Cognition, and Consciousness. . doi:10.3389/conf.fnins.2010.05.00021
15. Markovska-Simoska S, Pop-Jordanova N, Gjoneska B, Demerdzieva A. (2009). Behavioral parameters for ADHD and normal adults during face recognition and identification of facial emotions. Proceedings from COST B27 Final Meeting. May 15-16; Zurich, CH.
16. Gjoneska B, Markovska-Simoska S, Zorcec T. (2009). Some specific QEEG applications related to neurocognitive dysfunctions. Proceedings from Consciousness and Its Descriptors Workshop in the framework of COST B27. Mar 27-28; Crotone, IT.
17. Gjoneska B, Pop-Jordanova N, Fustic S. (2009). Computer-assisted evaluation and treatment of depression in cystic fibrosis patients. Proceedings of 3rd Neuromath Workshop. Mar 12-13; Leuven, BE.
18. Culic M, Gjoneska B, Hinrikus H, Jändel M, Klonowski W, Liljenström H, Nada Pop-Jordanova N, Psatta D, Rosen D, Wahlund B. (2009). Signatures of depression in non-stationary biometric time-series. Comput Intell Neurosci. doi: 10.1155/2009/989824
19. Markovska-Simoska S, Gjoneska B, Tomovski I, Pop-Jordanov J. (2008). Analysis of QEEG spectrum-weighted frequency (brain-rate) for visual and emotional CPT. Revista Espanola De Neuropsicologia. 10:129.
20. Gjoneska B, Pop-Jordanova N, Markovska-Simoska S. (2008). Neuroinformatics: Application of QEEG in pediatric research and practice. Proceedings of 6th International Conference for Informatics and Information Technologies. Feb 10-14; Bitola, MK.
21. Gjoneska B, Pop-Jordanova N, Grcev L. (2007). Comparative analysis of studies investigating the influence of extremely-low frequency electromagnetic fields on human EEG patterns. Proceedings of 1st Neuromath Workshop. Dec 1-6; Rome, IT.
22. Gjoneska B, Georgiev D, Fustic S, Pop-Jordanova N. (2008). Characteristics of electroencephalographic alpha rhythm parameters in cystic fibrosis patients: Perspectives of neurofeedback. Clin Neurophysiol. 119(3):e72. doi: 10.1016/j.clinph.2007.11.035
Early Works (undergraduate studies)
1. Gjoneska B. (2005). Violence in Macedonia reported in daily newspapers, Proceedings of 28th International Medical Students’ Scientific Congress. May 19-22; Ohrid, MK
2. Gjoneska B. (2004). Moral and ethical standards of medical students. Proceedings of 27th International Medical Students’ Scientific Congress. May 20-23; Ohrid, MK.
3. Gjoneska B. (2003). Cutaneous tuberculosis in R. Macedonia during the period 1997-2003: A study of the relationship between cutaneous and systemic tuberculosis and their correlation with war and post-war activities. Proceedings of the International Congress of Medical Sciences for Students and Young Doctors. May 8–11; Sofia, BG.
1. Title: European Network for Problematic Usage of the Internet (PUI)
Funded by: EU COST CA16207
Chair: Prof. Naomi Fineberg, University of Hertfordshire, UK
Start Date: Oct, 2017 End Date: Oct, 2021
Position: Management Committee Member; ITC Coordinator
2. Title: Comparative Analysis of Conspiracy Theories (COMPACT)
Funded by: EU COST CA15101
Chair: Prof. Peter Knight, University of Manchester, UK
Start Date: Apr, 2016 End Date: Sep, 2020
Position: Management Committee Substitute Member
3. Title: Advanced Methods for the Estimation of Human Brain Activity and Connectivity (NEUROMATH)
Funded by: EU COST BM0601
Chair: Prof. Fabio Babiloni, “La Sapienza” University, IT
Start Date: Mar 21, 2007 End Date: May 23, 2011
Position: Management Committee Member
4. Title: Upgrading the Research Capacities for Safety and Health Effects of Human Exposure to Electromagnetic Fields (SAFE-EMF)
Funded by: European Commission 6th Framework Program (EU FP6)
Contract Number: 43638
Start Date: Apr 1, 2007 End Date: Jun 30, 2009
Position: Junior Research Assistant
5. Title: Electric Neuronal Oscillations and Cognition (ENOC)
Funded by: European Union/European Scientific Foundation COST B27 Action
Chair: Prof. Jordan Pop-Jordanov, Macedonian Academy of Sciences and Arts, MK
Start Date: Apr 27, 2005 End Date: May 22, 2009
Position: Working Group Delegate
Early engagements (undergraduate studies)
1. Title: National Report on Violence
Ministry of Health, Skopje, MK
Principal Investigator: Prof. Fimka Tozija, MD PhD
Start date: May, 2005 End date: July, 2005
Position: Medical Student Collaborator
InterAcademy Partnership (IAP) Young Physician Leaders Program (YPL)
National Representative (2011)
Alumni Steering Committee Member (2020-ongoing)
Association of Psychological Science (APS)
Regular Member (2020-ongoing)
Psychological Science Accelerator (PSA)
Regular Member (2020-ongoing)
Regular Member (2020-ongoing)
Women in Cognitive Science
Regular Member (2020-ongoing)
iView X™ mobile eye-tracking system (for gaze-tracking data acquisition and analysis); E-Prime and SMI Experiment Center™ (for behavioral experiment creation); Amsterdam Neuropsychological Tests (for cognitive evaluation); Montreal Cognitive Assessment Inventory (for cognitive evaluation); CogMed software (for working memory training); WinEEG software (for Q-EEG monitoring, processing and analysis).
Statistics & analytics software packages
R package for statistical computing, Statistica 12, SPSS Statistical Package for Social Sciences
Windows 10, Windows 8, Windows XP
LibreOffice (Writer, Calc, Impress, Draw, Math, Base), Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel, Power Point, Corel Xara), LaTeX document preparation system
Excellent proficiency in written and spoken English and South Slavic group of languages (including Macedonian, Serbian, Croatian, Bosnian). Upper intermediate (PLIDA B2 level) proficiency in Italian Language. Currently in the process of learning the French language.
1. BsC Studies - Ministry of Education and Science of Macedonia
2. DsC Studies - Ministry of Education of Italy
1. Gjoneska B. (2017). Investigation of effects of the populist messages from prominent political leader on two opposing groups of partisans. Nov 15-29, La Sapienza University of Rome, IT. EU COST IS1308.
STSM REPORT: [URL]
2. Gjoneska B. (2017). Political affinity and conspiracy mentality: Italian case. Jul 8-24, La Sapienza University of Rome, IT. EU COST CA15101.
3. Gjoneska B. (2015). Learning to trust in political leader: Application of reinforcement learning in an iterated trust game. Sep 1-17, La Sapienza University of Rome, IT. EU COST IC1205
STSM REPORT: [URL]
1. First student prize at the 27th International Medical Students’ Scientific Congress: Gjoneska B. (2004). Moral and Ethical Standards of Medical Students. May 20-23, Ohrid, MK
ORAL PRESENTATION: [PPT]
2. Third student prize at the International Congress of Medical Sciences: Gjoneska B. (2003). Cutaneous tuberculosis in R.M. during the period 1997-2003. May 8–11, Sofia, BG
3. Third award on traditional short story competition of the official students' letter "Студентски збор": Gjoneska B. (2001). Pieces, Skopje, MK
SHORT STORY: [SCAN]
1. Gjoneska B. (2019-ongoing). Collection of literary essays in Macedonian language. In: "Окно" (МК) popular e-portal.
2. Gjoneska B. (2017-ongoing). Collection of poems in English language. In: "Репер" (МК) popular monthly e-magazine
3. Gjoneska B. (2019). The Digital Revolution: A Problem or a Solution for the Human Evolution. In: "Science for all" (МК: Наука за сите) popular e-magazine. 19 Jan, 2019.
4. Gjoneska B. (2018). The Internet Opens the Door for New and Seldom Popularized Addictions. In: "Faculties" (МК: Факултети) popular e-magazine. 29 Nov, 2018
Earlier Works (undergraduate studies)
1. Gjoneska B. (2006-2007). Selection of contributions. In: "Vox Medici" (Official periodical bulletin of the Doctor’s Chamber of Macedonia).
2. Gjoneska B. (2016). The Right Connection. In: "Your Club" (Official periodical bulletin and bimonthly popular magazine for t-mobile).
SHORT STORY: [LINK]